A client recently had this question: I would like to associate my projects with related accounts and track project activities by account. How can I do that?
One of the most frequently requested items when it comes to enhancements to Microsoft CRM is the ability to track activities and associated time to a specific client project.
To do this you can configure CRM using the Customize functionality. You do not have to write custom extensions, .NET code or JAVA code.
* Select Settings > Select Customize > create a new Entity (table) called Project
* Add appropriate attributes to the project entity (i.e. the data you want to capture such as the project name, project budget, and timeline).
* Create a relationship between Activities and Project: For any given project you can have an unlimited number of activities
* Create a relationship between Account and Project. For any account you can have an unlimited number of projects
* You can now track activity records to a specific project in addition to direct to the Account, Contact, Ticket, User and more. Within the Activity record is the ability to capture a start time, end time, duration and whatever else you want to add.