Is there a way to stop an autotask to run a program, get information from the external program then return to HEAT to add the data?
Yes, there is an action to 'Wait for Program to Terminate" This, combined with the Run an AutoTask action, will allow you to branch to an external program, get your information from the external program and return to the same point in the autotask.
Using Goldmine as the external program, see below:
* Create a new autotask called External Information
* Click Add > select the Run a Program action
* Under Filename, browse out to the Goldmine executable
* Check the box 'Wait for the program to terminate'
* Click OK > add the Goto Call(Ticket) autotask
* Add the @Prompt function to the Call ID expression
* Add 'Enter Call ID' to the @Prompt function
* Click OK > associate with a toolbar icon > Click Close
When you run the autotask, it will run Goldmine and pause at that point in the autotask while you search Goldmine for the information you need. When you close Goldmine, the autotask will resume where it left off. Enter a Call ID in the pop-up box and add the information obtained from Goldmine.