The report scheduling feature In Microsoft Dynamics CRM has the ability to generate snapshots of CRM reports. The snapshot types can be either an ‘On Demand Snapshot’ or the ‘Scheduled Snapshot’. You can schedule reports in CRM to retrieve data and deliver reports at specific times or during off-peak hours. Schedules can run once or on a continuous basis at intervals of hours, days, weeks, or months.
You need to have the CRM data connector installed on the SQL Reporting Services server. After the CRM data connector is installed on the SRS server, you can start the Report scheduling wizard as follows:
1. Click on the “Workplace” area and “Reports” section
2. Drop down on “More Actions” and choose Schedule Report.
3. Specify whether the report should be created (On-demand or On a schedule). Choose On a schedule.
4. On the next page you can specify the schedule which will be used to generate the snapshots. You can specify interval and time of the report snapshot.
5. On the next page of the wizard, you can specify start and end day for the schedule.
6. Snapshots are generated on the Reporting Services Report Server without any user input, so anything that you would normally set when viewing a report (parameters, default filter, etc.) need to be set before the snapshot is generated. With that said, the next page of the wizard allows you to set the report parameters. You can also set the default filter of the report by clicking on the “Edit Filter” button.
7. The final wizard page gives you a summary of the options you have selected over the previous pages. We can make a note of the “Snapshot Definition Name” is the name of the new report that will be created when you click “Create”. The new report is an exact copy of the original except that we set it to snapshot-only execution and save all of your preferences to the report. Also observe the footnote of the page- that we only list the most recent eight snapshots that have been generated, and because of this we set the report to only keep the most recent eight snapshots.
8. After clicking Create, you’ll get a progress button processing the request and eventually finishes up with a success page. After closing the wizard you’ll see the new report copy in the grid. If you are generating snapshots on a schedule, chances are you won’t have any snapshots at first, but once you get snapshots, you can see them by clicking the triangle to the left of the report icon. Then the snapshots will be listed by the time they were generated. Clicking on the snapshot time will open the snapshot in the CRM report viewer