MS Dynamics CRM 2011 provides the following feature that allows you to change the icons of a custom entity. This method is very simple and there is no coding required for this. The images need to be uploaded as web resources.
Following are the steps to upload an image file:
* Go to Settings, Customizations, Customize the System.
* Click New from the toolbar and select Web Resource from the list.
There are three types of icons to be assigned (Each should not be more than 10KB).
1. 16x16 pixels --This Icon will be placed in Web Application
2. 32x32 pixels --This Icon will be placed as the shortcut icon in the MS Office Outlook
3. 66x48 Pixels --This Icon will be placed on the entity form
The key advantage of MS Dynamics CRM 2011 is that it provides us the web resource utility to store all these Icons. So first we need to store all these Icons in the web resource so that we could reference them later. It is ideal to name each icon with some identifier. For instance to identify 16x16 pixels we could name it as myicon16.png. This will provide more readability. This is not mandatory but a suggestion.
* Enter the following Information in the New Web Resource Dialog:
* Name, Display Name and Type (PNG, JPG or GIF)
* Choose the file to be uploaded
Following are the steps to update a custom entity Icon:
* Navigate to Settings, Customizations, Customize the System.
* Expand the Entities node and then select a custom entity. You will notice the toolbar will show the Update Icons toolbar.
Note: You can only update the icons for custom entities. You cannot change the system entity icons.
* Click the Update Icons toolbar option.
* Within this window you can select the Web Resource of your uploaded icons. This window allows you to upload 3 different icons; 16×16, 32×32 and 66×48.
Note: Prerequisite with this window is that you have uploaded 3 different icons already to the Web Resource section.
There are only 2 icons that you can ACTUALLY change in CRM 2011 to custom entities. These are:
1. Icon in Web application (16×16, Less than 10kb, Programmatic Development Property = IconSmallName)
2. Icon for Entity Detail Forms (32×32, Less than 10kb, Programmatic Development Property = IconMediumName)
However the 3rd icon, the 66×48, is not used in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011. The application incorrectly labels this as the Icon in Entity forms. Programmatic Development Property for this is IconLargeName.
The recommendation is that you use .PNG Web resources because they support transparency and good compression with a better color fidelity than GIF.
GIF, JPG, & ICO formats are supported for backwards compatibility when organizations upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.
Following is a link to a solution that contains some free images in the correct sizes and formats. This link also describes how to upload the solution file.