If you have multiple items that are frequently (or always) sold together, you can create a group item to make it easier to sell the multiple items.
For example you may have a product for which you always add a handling charge or a local delivery charge. Perhaps you have a product for which customers frequently buy an add-on. Instead of entering separate line items every time you fill out a sales transaction, you can create and sell a group item.
This is also a great way to provide a discount to customers who buy multiple items for which they'd pay the individual price if they purchased the items one at a time.
Group items are useful in QuickBooks Pro editions, because only Premier editions provide Inventory Assemblies. In addition, you can use a group even if you're not tracking inventory; a group can contain non-inventory items. If you are tracking inventory, and inventory items are included in the group, the inventory isn’t decremented until you sell the group item (unlike Assemblies, which have to be built in advance and the process of building decrements the inventory).
To create a group, the individual items in the group have to exist in your Items List (including any discount items for groups that provide a discount for buying multiple items). Create the group item using the following steps:
- With the Item List open, press CTRL-N to open the New Item dialog.
- Select Group from the Type drop-down list.
- Enter a name for this group in the Group Name/Number field.
- Optionally enter a description.
- Select each item that is part of this group, and enter the quantity for each item.
- If you're creating a group to reflect a discount for buying multiple items at once, remember to include the Discount item in the group.
- Click OK.